olive47 is a street artist/muralist/printmaker born in Chattanooga TN sometime in the 70’s. She received her BFA from SCAD and MFA from Camberwell College of the Arts in London UK. She recently moved back to Los Angeles after 9 years living in London and Atlanta, where she was a featured muralist in the Living Walls 2012 conference. In 2009, she released Miss Cupcake, the award-winning vinyl artist platform toy and and subsequent DIY, available internationally.
She has exhibited in solo and group shows at venues such as Nelson Street Gallery(ATL), Breeze Block Gallery (Portland OR), Gabba Gallery (Los Angeles) and San Diego Comic Con. Her colour-filled naturescapes can be seen in numerous street art/graffiti blogs and publications; her work is held in the permanent collections of The Victoria and Albert Museum and The Centennial Olympic Parks Dept. Her heroes are Buckminster Fuller, Joseph Campbell, Prince, and David Bowie.
nature, gardening, snorkeling, travel
Favourite travels: barcelona, berlin, tokyo, miami, new york
Music: underground hip hop, experimental electronic, bhangra
• Started painting murals of southern plantations and rococo cupids in houses and businesses for extra money in college.
• Has lived in Savannah, GA, Portland, OR, Atlanta, GA, Los Angeles, CA, and London UK
• Founded cult in 2002, now boasts over 450 members, internationally.
• Began doing “street art” in 1995 making collages from old 50’s science books, xeroxing and posting them on telephone poles.
• Tattoo on her back is image from one of the science books. It depicts the theory of reflection.
• All 3 of her tattoos represent different facets of light: reflection, refraction, luminosity.
• Moved on to stickers in 1998 while working for design companies in Los Angeles…Used company credit card to pay for them.
• First sticker was of 7 inch pink sperm with one eye.
• The egg with salt was the first image used for a paste up.
• Uses a mix of brush paint and spray paint due to asthma and extreme allergy issues.
Even more stuff about olive47
* Complex Magazine: 10 Street Artists Share Their Admiration for Os Gemeos
* Arrested Motion: Studio Visit with olive47
* Vandalog: bonita bonita
* VNA: bonita bonita
* Paperblog: bonita bonita
* Together Underground: bonita bonita
* Vandalog: Art Basel Miami 2012 (photography)
* Vandalog and Complex: KR photo feature (photography)
* Brooklyn Street Art/ Huffington Post: Living Walls 2012
* Living Walls 2012: PR Video
* Vandalog: Living Walls 2012
* Burnaway: Was It a Success for Female Artists?
* AJC: Living Walls 2012
* Vandalog: Olive47 covers a block in South Atlanta
* Vandalog: Pasting Miami, Art Basel 2011
* Paste Modernism: 2011 interview
* Peel Magazine #6: feature interview (28MB pdf)
* Street Res: article i wrote on wheatpasting
* Peel Magazine: european street art trip article for #8 (6.75MB pdf)
* Drifter Media: interview
* I Am The Trend: interview
* Entertaining Things: interview
* Freshbump: feature
* blurb about one of my pieces on cupcake blog
• miss cupcake has been featured on a few blogs as well:
hooked blog, format mag, vinyl pulse, esp visuals, spankystokes, peel magazine, existing visual, PPM mag, En Derin, No One Puts Cupcake in the Corner, All Things Cupcake, Planet of the Sanquon, and My Swag, among others.